Meat Free Mondays have become a global movement encouraging people to go vegetarian for one day a week. It's a fantastic way to reduce our environmental footprint, promote healthy eating habits, and introduce new and exciting flavours to our kids' diets. In this blog, we'll share three easy and delicious dinner recipes perfect for Meat Free Mondays that will make your kids ask for seconds.
MEAT FREE MONDAY RECIPES FOR KIDS:
Cheesy Veggie Quesadillas
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mixed veggies (e.g., capsicums, onions, zucchini)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- In a separate pan, heat olive oil and sauté the mixed veggies until they become soft. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place a tortilla in the preheated pan and sprinkle half of it with cheese.
- Add a generous portion of sautéed veggies on top of the cheese and fold the tortilla in half.
- Cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side until the tortilla turns golden brown and the cheese melts.
- Repeat the process for the remaining tortillas.
- Cut the quesadillas into wedges and serve warm. Pair them with a side of salsa or guacamole for added flavour.
Butternut Pumpkin Pasta
- 500 grams butternut pumpkin, peeled and diced
- 300 grams pasta (penne, fusilli, or your choice)
- 30 ml olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 250 ml vegetable broth
- 125 ml cooking cream
- 50 grams grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Optional: chili flakes for a bit of spice
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Place the diced pumpkin on a baking tray, drizzle with 15 ml of olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for about 25-30 minutes or until tender.
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions in a pot of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving a little of the pasta water.
- In a large frypan, heat the remaining 15 ml of olive oil over medium heat. Add minced garlic and sauté until fragrant. Add the roasted pumpkin and mash it using a fork or spoon. Gradually pour in the vegetable broth while stirring to create a creamy sauce.
- Add the cooked pasta to the pan with the sauce, tossing to coat the pasta evenly. If the sauce is too thick, add a little reserved pasta water.
- Stir in the cream and grated Parmesan cheese. Let the pasta simmer for a few minutes until the sauce thickens and coats the pasta. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the creamy pumpkin pasta into bowls. Garnish with fresh parsley and chili flakes if desired. Serve hot and enjoy this delicious pasta!
Veggie Pita Pizzas
- 4 pita bread rounds
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce or marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Assorted veggies (e.g., cherry tomatoes, sliced mushrooms, spinach leaves, capsicum)
- Dried oregano and basil (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 200°C.
- Place the pita bread rounds on a baking sheet covered tray.
- Spread a tablespoon of pizza sauce evenly over each pita bread.
- Sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese on top of the sauce.
- Add your desired veggies as toppings, distributing them evenly among the pitas.
- Sprinkle dried oregano and basil over the pizzas for added flavour.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Allow them to cool slightly before serving. Cut into slices and enjoy these mini, veggie-packed pizzas!
Now that summer is officially headed our way, why not pack these meals for a picnic instead! Whether it's in your backyard, a local park or the beach, getting outside in nature is a great way to enjoy some time together - even if it's just for a healthy dessert! Don't forget to pack BodyICE Kids ice packs to keep everything cool!
Meat Free Mondays provide a wonderful opportunity to introduce your kids to the flavours and benefits of vegetarian cuisine. These three easy recipes are sure to delight their taste buds while promoting a healthier, planet-friendly lifestyle. So, gather your little helpers in the kitchen and embark on a tasty dinner adventure together! Happy cooking!