If you are planning to breastfeed your baby, knowing some key tips to help your feeding journey is critical. Every mama will experience a different breastfeeding journey and have ups and downs, which may involve under or oversupply, pumping, bottle-feeding or using donor breastmilk.
Gaining knowledge around breastfeeding, knowing what can help when facing challenges, and getting support can all assist your experience. For many mothers, it is a learnt skill, not a natural skill. The Australian Breastfeeding Association state it can take 6-8 weeks for the breastfeeding dance between mama and baby to find its rhythm.
Each baby and mother are unique with different patterns, so try not to compare yourself or your baby to others. These tips below may help to increase your chance of successfully breastfeeding.
HERE ARE 8 BREASTFEEDING TIPS
1. ANTENATAL EDUCATION AND HAND EXPRESSING
2. SKIN TO SKIN AND ROOM IN TOGETHER
3. INITIATE EARLY BREASTFEEDING FROM BIRTH
4. ENSURE CORRECT LATCH AND ATTACHMENT
5. BREASTFEED REGULARLY ON DEMAND (ESPECIALLY IN FIRST 6 WEEKS)
6. GET TO KNOW YOUR BREASTS AND MILK SUPPLY
7. AVOID DUMMIES AND TEATS
8. ASK FOR HELP AND ACCESS RESOURCES
Leave a comment
All comments are moderated before being published.